What Do My Loved Ones Do
It's very natural to be worried about your kids, partner or pets while you're in therapy, but there are several ways to make sure they're cared for when you are in rehab.
Family is one of the biggest worries for people in treatment for addiction - where they'll live, how they will get by financially, if they can communicate during treatment.
You can plan well ahead for yourself and your loved ones if you know the choices you can that will allow you get over your addiction problem.
Your family will receive the best loving attention while away by making good plans for them and seeking the assistance of other people before embarking on the recovery program.
- Who will look after my children while I am in rehab?
- What if I don't have anyone who can help?
- What other alternatives are there?
- Can my loved ones pay me a visit?
- How will my family make ends meet while I'm in treatment?
- How do I speak to my child regarding going to therapy?
- While at the rehab, what will happen to my pet?
- How can I stay in touch with my loved ones while in rehab?
- How can I obtain treatment straight away?
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Child Care Options For Those In Rehabilitation
When you're a guardian highly considering therapy, getting a dependable caregiver for your children can be very tricky. While you're in treatment, there are several options available for child care.
The preferred alternative is usually a person with which your kid is comfortable and familiar with, a person close to you and your loved ones.
If you need help finding treatment, get in touch with us today on 0800 772 3971.
These people could be
- Your partner
- Brothers and Sisters
- Close friends
If these individuals are unavailable due to engagements such as school or work, daytime child care could be a viable option. Some rehab facilities can relate you to the local child care options and some even have these services of their own.
Some rehab centres will even let your children stay with you in treatment if you are a single parent. They can also help your kid if they have some psychological problems related to the addiction they will try to help you overcome.
Call us now and we'll help you find a rehab that will let your child stay with you.
Letting Your Children Know About Your Journey To Rehab
It is imperative that you intimate your child with your problem the importance of moving to a rehabilitation centre. It will help them understand and deal with you being away. It will also ensure that they do not think they are to blame for anything.
Follow these instructions when you are speaking with your kids
- Learn about addiction and treatment for yourself.
- The more that you know, the easier it will be to talk about.
- Let them get what you are saying by considering their age when discussing with them.
- Avoid using technical terms and medical jargon.
- Decide on the ideal moment to carry out the discussion.
- A quiet surrounding with small disturbances is desirable.
- Make sure to tell them that you know how your addiction influenced them and their emotions.
- Say that you are sorry if you made them suffer.
- Answer their questions and be straight with them.
- Tell them that you acted uncontrollably and that they don't share the blame for your actions.
The "Seven C's" method was developed by the National Association for Children of Alcoholics to help children deal with their parent's substance abuse. In order to remind them that they did not cause the problem, children are encouraged to learn the "Seven C's." It also offers ideas on how to deal with a parent who is addicted.
Your Child Should Learn The Seven Cs
- I did not cause it
- I can't cure it
- I cannot control it
- I can take better care of myself
- By communicating my feelings
- Making healthy choices and
- Celebrating me
Alternative Child Care From Non-Profit And Government
You have some alternatives if your friends and family can't take care of your kids. Safe Families for Children, a non-government organization that employs volunteers, is one of them. If parents are unable to care for them, organizations like these will help find temporary homes for children. The safety of your kids is guarantee because the organization confirms the trustworthiness of the families that support them. This arrangement will help the biological parent keep custody of their children during and after the process of treatment.
If you can't detect a program that matches your family's demands, voluntary positioning in foster care may be offered in your state. This should, however, be your last choice.
If you decide to put your kid in foster care, you will have to approve to a Voluntary Placement Agreement (VPA). The Department of Children's Services will be in charge of your kids for a short time. You may be obligated for paying child support each month.
It is an alternative, although it may be terrifying to make that choice. You only need to remain committed to the VPA terms and present yourself for court hearings as required. You can give your kid and yourself the best gift, and that is overcoming your addiction.
Options For Pet Care Whilst In Rehab
In many families, pets are considered a loving member. Similar to addicted parents, those who own pets often find it difficult to find a fitting care provider. There are many alternatives for you if you can't find a person to look after your pet while you are in treatment.
Most boarding facilities have long term options, but this can cost a lot of money. Getting a sitter for your pet may be an affordable alternative especially for pets that need little care such as fish, cats or rodents. Pet sitters will come to your house a pre established amount of times a week to care for your pets. Others will go to the extent of letting your pets live with them till you come back. This is very suitable for dogs and other animals that require great care.
Release enough information, such as the emergency numbers of your animal clinic or vet, the medical records of the pet, and how to care for it, for the pet giver if you must put them in the custody of someone. You should also ensure that your vet knows that while you are away your pet will be looked after by another person.
You can take your pets along with you to some rehabs if you can't part with them. Though this trend is gaining momentum, rehab facilities that are pet friendly are not common. You may be forced to go to another city or state to get a program. However, you will probably be able to find a facility that lets pet visit you if you are not able to find one that will let them stay with you.
Visitation With Family And Friends During Treatment
Family assistance is crucial to breaking free from addiction, and a good number of rehab centres feel that their presence will play a role in helping you to get over the problem.
For the first 3 to 7 days after you arrive at the centre, you are not allowed to contact or discuss with anybody as a way of helping you get used to the new environment.
Immediately the first waiting duration is over, many treatment centres provide visitation hours.
Some let you have visitors every week or month, while others will even allow you to be visited during your free time every day. Each rehab will have its own duration of visitation time.
There are visitors who may be included in a visitor's list by your counsellor so as to see you. View your centres' regulations to make sure that your loved ones match the essential demands for visitation.
When In Rehab Communicating With Loved Ones
While you are in treatment you can talk with your friends and family in a few ways. Most places will allow phone calls and emails during designated times, but this varies by facility. You are also able to send and receive letters.
Other facilities accept your loved ones to submit care parcels. These packages will however have to be screened by staff members before you receive them to ensure safety. Confirm with your therapy's management to know which items are disallowed in care parcels.
Family counselling may also be offered. A lot of cases in dependence, your loved ones are struck by the ailment, as well. These sessions will help everyone heal by acknowledging everyone's feelings.
Monetary Help For Your Family Whilst In Rehab
If you are a primary financial caretaker of your family, then the expenses of addiction program might be a financial strain while you are away. There are various methods you can lower financial difficulties at some time, including
- Discussing with your employer on the possibility of using sick off days and any paid off time.
- If you have paid sick leave pending you can still get a pay check for a number of days if not all of the days you will be in rehab.
- You can ask your family and friends to help you.
- You will be surprised by the number of people who are ok with making a contribution towards the cost of treatment and sustaining your family financially as you go through treatment.
- It's possible that your insurance company may cover part of your rehab costs; contact them to be sure.
- Medicaid/ Medicare and the Affordable Care Act provide choices to support pay for dependence therapy.
- You can also find out at your workplace if your employer offers short term disability and if they do, does it cover alcohol and drug rehab.
- Costs can be lowered if you are able to use any of these options.
- You might be able to get more manageable payments if your facility offers special financing or payment plan options.
In the scenario that your blood relation gets behind on bills when you're in treatment, attempt contacting your creditors to quickly request for an extension or to modify the due dates for your requital. Most people understand addiction and will support the steps you are taking to get sober and will be happy to work alongside you.
Dependence Therapy Is The Best Choice For You And Your Loved Ones
You have every right to be worried about being absent from your family and going to treatment. You will rarely find anyone who did not have similar misgivings as they went into rehab. But these fears should not keep you from seeking the help necessary for you. You getting better, after all, is the best solution for you, as well as your family.
don't misuse another moment of you or their lives on dependence.