What Should I Carry When Checking Into Rehab
Every therapy clinic permits certain things while forbids others and this is very important to know this once getting ready for treatment.
Rehab centres have strict policies in place regard what an inpatient can bring with him or her. These prohibited items will be outlined in a form before come in so you are aware.
The admission process begins as soon as you check in. The staff will carefully check your belonging to ensure you are not carrying any banned substance or item with you. A checklist is provided by some clinics to make sure no items are forgot once treatment is over.
Supplies are permitted in the therapy clinics. This policy though may differ from one treatment centre to another.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
How To Get The Packing Information
Most rehab centres have their own website featuring a "What to Pack" webpage, where you will find information regarding what is allowed. You can also get this info on their website. Although not all centres offer a checklist, some provide the patient in order to prepare them prior to admission. Calling the rehab centre is an option in case you can't find packing information anywhere on the site. You will have all of your queries and doubts clarified. At the same time, they can walk you through and guide you on what to expect prior, during and after admission.
What Most Rehab Centres Recommend You To Carry
Set of regulations are severer than others depending on each clinic.
Majority of centres advise patients to bring these
- A list of names, addresses and telephone numbers of people you wish to have involved within your treatment [loved ones, healthcare professionals, twelve-step sponsors, etc.].
- Jewellery that means the most value to you just like an engagement or wedding ring.
- You should not bring costly jewellery items with you.
- An alarm clock.
- Some centres are known to supply these items, and therefore, it would be better to verify this particular item before venturing out into the market to purchase them.
- All prescribed medications in their original bottle.
- It is recommended that all liquid medications be newly purchased and sealed.
- All this information should be provided before the patient is admitted.
- Ensure you are some cash with you in small denominations.
- Bring along your credit cards or check book for settling the payment for new medications.
- Your insurance cards along with a method of identification [driver's license, passport, etc.].
- If you want to make long distance calls, bring a calling card with you.
- Your diary.
- Stamps and envelopes for mailing letters if you wish to.
- Photos of your family members and friends.
- There are some items that you will get inside the rehab.
- Most of the items that are allowed should play some part in the recovery process.
- TIP Should you bring books, we recommend you to bring paperbacks as they are more handy than hardbacks.
What Attire Is Needed
Most centres for rehab adhere to a strict dress code, and therefore, it is essential for you to be aware about any restrictions, which may apply during the packing. You can prepare yourself by carrying a cloth that can be comfortable in all types of weather.
Pack only that many clothes which can be easily accommodated in your room.
There will be provisions for you to clean clothes in the facility. Packing on clothing that is easy to wash and will not require dry-cleaning will prove helpful.
Ensure that you bring following clothes and items that will make your week comfortable
- Shoes Bring the shoes that you feel comfortable in .
- Shirts If you have tank tops you should also be looking forward to packing some cardigans to wear along with them to comply with the dress code of the centres.
- Pants Comfortable pants fit for any occasion
- Shorts They have to be long enough to comply with the clinic's dress code.
- Dressy outfits for special occasions like the family night will also be useful.
- A bathing suit; At least one.
- A coat/jacket.
- A bath robe.
- A belt, if needed.
- A hat Some centres do not allow wearing hats inside the premises.
Hygiene And Cosmetic Products You Should Bring
All personal hygiene and beauty items have to be 100% alcohol-free in most rehabilitation centres. However, these requirements varies from one centre to another. Aerosols are not allowed
You should hygiene and cosmetic products that should last a month
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hair styling products [pump hairspray only]
- Feminine wash or hygiene products
- Shaving cream
Items Prohibited In Rehabilitation
All rehabs have strict rules and do not allow certain prohibited items within the centres. These items don't guarantee the proper surroundings for your retrieval and aren't safe These are the screened contrabands
- Alcohol as well as drugs
- Sedatives or forbidden prescriptions
- Arms (pistols, blades, scissors, piercing objects, etc.)
- Food or drinks
- Everyday stuff containing alcohol
- E cigarettes
- Unapproved and previously opened medication (even if it is prescribed)
- Nail polish and other related products
- Movie DVDs and games
- Sporting apparatus
- Clothing that is not descent
- Body sprays with strong cents
- Cleaning products (bleach, ammonia, etc.)
- Electronic gadgets
- Games and playing cards
- Incense and candles
- Drug related clothing
Playing cards, games and movies may be surprising contrabands for you but rules are rules. The idea behind banning them is to minimize distractions and help you stay focused on recovery. However, some of the rehabs could facilitate you to get these equipments on some days.
No food and drinks from cooked or prepared by external sources are allowed. You will get 3 main meals, along with snacks and beverages. You should inform your facility beforehand in case you are on a special diet.
These Items Are Allowed By Some But Prohibited By Others
Because policies differ from centre to centre, it is possible to find that some items are allowed in one and not in another. While a number of things are prohibited across-the-board exceptions may be made by some facilities for the following.
- Cell phone and Laptop
- You will be able to use these items at certain times if they are permitted by your clinic.
- Just don't forget to take the charger with you.
- You may be allowed to smoke at some time.
- Although you have this privilege, you are limited to a number of specified quantities allowed.
- Vitamins and Over-The-Counter Medications
- All the medicine should either be prescribed or new.
- They have to be closed and sealed.
- Music and CD Player
- You might be permitted to bring along entertainment devices that can work without speakers and internet.
- Cameras are allowed by some treatment centres.
- Throwaway or Electric Razors
- Razors are considered as dangerous and some centres are known to prohibit them completely.
- You can bring disposable razors with you.
- Nail Cutters
- It depends with the requirement in the facility.
- Things That Remind You Of Home
- The rehabs allow you to come with things that will make you feel as comfortable as possible just like you are at home.
- Before packing any of these items you should double check with the chosen rehab centres, whether they allow such items.
Will I Retrieve Forbidden Items That I Accidently Take To The Clinic
Don't freak out if you bring along something forbidden after you get to the clinic. The forbidden objects that you carried to the clinic will be given back to the person who took you there. Someone you trust can also come to pick them up from the facility. You may also choose to pick the after the session ends.
There are higher probabilities that you will go to a clinic alone if you reached the centre by plane. Make sure you review the regulations of your centre by calling them. Any prohibited items that they have confiscated are expected to be returned. If the centres do not store the items, you can ask them to ship them back for you.
Packing For Rehab Can Be Easy You are just required to follow the policies of the centres and ask plenty of questions if you are unsure about any items. The process becomes all the more simpler if you logon to the centre's website and save the packing checklist. The best thing is to make sure that you have essential stuff with you.
Find Support Now
A number of treatment centres will allow you to bring certain things, which can make your life comfortable during the treatment. Talk to our experts who can assist you in your goal of locating a suitable treatment centre.
Contact your clinic by giving us a phone call now on 0800 772 3971.